Translate

Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Secret Life of Toms



I was buying something from a street vendor. 
Gave him $100. I did not understand why in a hurry I ended up having less balance than the arithmetic taught me what I would get.
Got home and looked inside my wallet .Two twenty dollars, one seven dollars and one 4 dollars. When I thought about it sensibly, it was scary as you could imagine. I never saw 7 dollar bills before. I was not sure about 4 dollars either. I looked at the other side of the bill. It was blank paper without printing. I am really duped. I have some money left in an envelope in the draw. I looked at the bills I had. Many have nothing printed on the back. Some of them actually had ink draining out in red and cyan.
It was not the issue of losing money due to carelessness, but knowing that this did not happen just now. I was being part of this fake bills empire, It bothered me so much and I was also concerned that someone will inform the police that I gave them fake notes.

I was finally happy when I woke up from that dream.

Next day I received a letter from a consumer research firm with 8 pages of questions and a crisp $2 bill clipped to the edge.
Is the dream real? I was not sure $2 bill existed. Was it Monopoly money?
Google and friends told me it was real as the $1 bill.

I heard that it was Toms. Thomas Jefferson. A bill which is now going to be the theme of a movie.
Toms, I know you are hiding behind the papers in my draw. I am reluctant to part with you. You are like the lucky streak I don’t want to lose in my days of misery. I am keeping you, my secret friend, away from anyone to grab, to spend to forget. I am like millions in this country, holding on to you with passion.

Toms, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment